I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have To Kill You by Ally Carter

Amazon Synopsis: Gallagher Academy might claim to be a school for geniuses - but it's really a school for spies. Cammie Morgan is fluent in fourteen languages and capable of killing a man in seven different ways (three of which involve a piece of uncooked spaghetti). But the one thing the Gallagher Academy hasn't prepared her for is what to do when she falls for an ordinary boy who thinks she's an ordinary girl.

Sure, she can tap his phone, hack into his computer, and track him through a mall without his ever being the wiser, but can Cammie have a normal relationship with a boy who can never know the truth about her?


So I had wanted to read this book for ages. I kept passing it at WHSmith's when I would take a sneak peak in the teen/children's section and every time I saw it all I could think was "a book with that long a title has to be good". I don't know what the logic was there because the cover isn't anything special but I wanted it. Eventually I bought it when I got my mum the Uglies series from ASDA on offer (think it was three books for £10) making it one of the reasons I was broke only two days after payday...

It is the first book of six books (I think there are six, I'm not sure) and follows a girl called Cammie as she starts another year at Gallagher Academy. All the teachers are former spies or operatives and all the students have parents who are diplomats or are geniuses. This year Cammie and her classmates are given access to a new floor of the school to start the next part of their spy training, including covert operation. This class has a new teacher who Cammie doesn't really like but everyone has a crush on. He is not a conventional teacher and soon they are out on a recon following one of their teachers.

This is where the story kicks off. Whilst her friend is caught, Cammie remains invisible but low and behold meets a boy called Josh who "sees her". The love story to me didn't seem like anything special. It was a kind of mundane love story between teenagers but the fact that the girl is actually a spy makes it unusually bearable. With the character of Cammie it is obvious that she has never had a 'normal' life, since both her parents were spies and her mother is now the headteacher of Gallagher Academy, so this first crush thing meant she had a chance to experience something that wasn't an immediate risk to her life.

Another thing I liked about the book was how the girls are not portrayed as total bad asses. I do usually love a flawed character but here it wasn't needed. Each of the girls was totally normal, except for the part where they speak about 7 languages and can kill you, which was refreshing. In fact, the only overtly bad ass character is Macey, who isn't even trained to be a spy like the others. They are also modest and don't let their skills get to their heads.

There are some annoying characters, namely Josh's friends, who don't like Gallagher Girls because they think they are spoilt but they were meant to be annoying so that is good.

There is also a lot of humour as well since the girls don't really know what to do when it comes to dating and end up breaking into Josh's house before starting an entire operation about him. Cammie's friends are brilliant with their quirky and spontaneous attitudes to boys.

Overall this was a fun read but the romance did bore me a bit and I kind of hope they break up...that's bad, isn't it? Only the next book will tell, which I plan to read at some point. I own it but haven't got around to it.

Rating: 3.5/5

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About