Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding

Amazon Synopsis: The Wilderness Years are over! But not for long. At the end of Bridget Jones's Diary, Bridget hiccuped off into the sunset with man-of-her-dreams Mark Darcy. Now, in The Edge of Reason, she discovers what it is like when you have the man of your dreams actually in your flat and he hasn't done the washing-up, not just the whole of this week, but ever.

Lurching through a morass of self-help-book theories and mad advice from Jude and Shazzer, struggling with a boyfriend-stealing ex-friend with thighs like a baby giraffe, an 8ft hole in the living-room wall, a mother obsessed with boiled-egg peelers, and a builder obsessed with large reservoir fish, Bridget embarks on a spiritual epiphany, which takes her from the cappuccino queues of Notting Hill to the palm- and magic-mushroom-kissed shores of ...

Started Monday, finished Tuesday, too lazy to review last night so doing it now.  This is the continuation of the first book which I read in June on my Kindle. This is the character that my friends all claim I am going to become in the future whenever we watch this movie (damn you Alex for starting that, I shake my fist angrily at you).

It starts only 4 weeks after the last one and everything is going good with Mr Mark Darcy. Except for the odd dream about having his babies (bit soon, love). Bridget is still getting in awkward situations at work, home and in society though as Bridget and her "urban family" take on the world. These situations are funny and relatable to an audience member like me who is a bit of an idiot. After her relationship with Darcy crumbles over something that was Bridget's fault, to me anyway, the plot deteriorated. Once again Bridget tries to change her life but for about 150 pages of my 422 page edition it was all a bit pointless. Funny it was but, unlike the first book, Bridget wasn't getting anywhere and there was nothing that seemed to be coming out of it. Then a birthday party takes place and everything falls back into place again.

The Thailand experience seemed a bit short lived, as did some of the diary entries. Not a lot of them went into great detail about anything which was a bit annoying. Surprised Daniel Cleaver was added in at all considering he had about 2 lines in the entire novel. The book did not disappoint overall though as I was laughing out loud once again at Bridget's mistakes. Must admit some humour went over my head as I did not understand the references since I was in nappies when this was set.

One of the funniest moments was the cringe worthy interview with Colin Firth. Bridget travels to Rome to interview him but everything just goes wrong. In the movies special features they actually created this interview despite Bridget’s boyfriend, Mark, being played by Colin Firth. It is laugh out loud funny and was one of the few scenes, which I felt, showed the clumsy and awkward Bridget everyone loves.

Something that bugged me in this book was the continuing obsession with weight. Bridget Jones is on average 9 stone which, unless she is 3 ft. tall, isn’t a problem. In fact it is probably the perfect weight or too skinny and it just bugged me that she wanted to be thinner. I get that it is supposed to show the fad of the time but it could also have a negative effect on the audience.

Not as good as the first book but it did what it promised. I will be reading "Bridget Jones: Mad About a Boy" but I am a little scared since it seems the precious Mark Darcy (I want one) has been dead for 5 years.

Rating: 3.5/5

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About