Angus Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison

There are six things very wrong with my life:
1. I have one of those under-the-skin spots that will never come to a head but lurk in a red way for the next two years.
2. It is on my nose.
3. I have a three-year-old sister who may have peed somewhere in my room.
4. In fourteen days the summer hols will be over and then it will be back to Stalag 14 and Oberführer Frau Simpson and her bunch of sadistic 'teachers'.
5. I am very ugly and need to go into an ugly home.
6. I went to a party dressed as a stuffed olive.
Follow Georgia's hilarious antics as she tries to overcome the dilemma’s that are weighing up against her, and muddle her way through teenage life and all that it entails: how to replace accidentally shaved-off eyebrows; how to cope with Angus, her small labrador-sized Scottish wildcat; her first kiss with Peter – afterwards known as Whelk Boy; annoying teachers; unsympathetic friends and family, and how to entice Robbie the Sex God! Phew – she’s really got her work cut out!

I finished this about a week ago but failed to get a review up due to the hectic life that comes with the first week back followed by the dreaded "Mock Week" at school. Always intended to write a review but just kept getting distracted by all things and never got round to it. I got this book from The Works. Scrap that, I got all 10 books from the Works for a ridiculously cheap £16.99. Over the last few weeks I have been avoiding anything too heavy to read so picked up this short read for a bit of a laugh. I have a friend who is obsessed with these books and a girl from my school was in the film so it seemed like a safe bet. 

The story follows 14-year-old Georgia Nicholson as she attempts to live in a small town in England and, along side her friends, is trying to get through high school with some semblence of popularity and status. When she meets 'sex-God' Robbie she has to have him but he is 17 and seemingly uninterested. Written in diary format it follows Georgia through a new school year as she shuffles her way through teenage hormones and reckless judgements.

As a character, Georgia is a young Bridget Jones. She has no luck on her side as she tries to navigate through her awkward teenage years, too young to do anything and too young to entertain herself. I found her incredibly relatable since I live in a small town like her and had no way out until passing my driving test. I did think she acted like a bit of a brat every once in a while. Georgia seemed to have an attitude which radiated "if I don't have it no one else can" when it came to her friends and parents. I felt especially sorry for Jas sometimes when she had to put up with Georgia's tantrums about Jas's getting a boyfriend. Georgia was funny though and I did find myself laughing out loud to myself in the corner at her antics. I found the Georgia in the movie much more likeable but she was still a decent character to read. 

 The story itself seemed to be going no where when I was reading it but towards the end it was clear if you wanted to have an ending you had to keep reading. An incomplete romance and cliff hanger ending meant that I am ready to pick up the next installment soon.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About