Emerald Green by Kerstin Gier

Amazon Synopsis: Gwen has a destiny to fulfill, but no one will tell her what it is. She’s only recently learned that she is the Ruby, the final member of the time-traveling Circle of Twelve, and since then nothing has been going right. She suspects the founder of the Circle, Count Saint-German, is up to something nefarious, but nobody will believe her. And she’s just learned that her charming time-traveling partner, Gideon, has probably been using her all along.
Emerald Green is the stunning conclusion to Kerstin Gier's Ruby Red Trilogy, picking up where Sapphire Blue left off, reaching new heights of intrigue and romance as Gwen finally uncovers the secrets of the time-traveling society and learns her fate.


Edit: Oh gosh I started this review ages ago and never finished it. I am so behind. Sorry, people.

I did it! I finally finished this series! It seems like finishing book series is the hardest thing for me to do. Be it because I don't want to leave these magical worlds or because there are too many on offer for me to choose only one. Because of this and a recent impromptu book buying binge I felt the need to marathon some books and the Dewy’s 24 hour readathon let me do that. 

I did sleep for some of it but I got through two books which felt really good considering my recent slump brought on by returning to the school environment. In October last year whilst visiting my brother Emerald Green came out and I read Sapphire Blue whilst relaxing in the Halloween time heat of Texas but I did not read the third installment straight away. Suddenly, time flashed before my eyes and a year had passed. I realised that as soon as I cracked open Emerald Green that I had forgotten a few key plot points. It was still amazing though and finally getting some answers was like a weight off my shoulders. 
Gwen was back in all her hilarity teamed with her gargoyle sidekick, best friend, and trusty unfriendly ghost and causing trouble in the modern day London whilst moonlighting as an untrained (and sometimes incompetent) time traveler. The book picked right up and I found myself falling in love with Gwen’s character and world all over again. In the second book of this saga I found myself sighing a lot at the characters choices (especially regarding the threat of an instalove), but in the final installment she calls herself out on it and does not let it have as big an impact on her story. 

A little refresher was needed after the large gap I took between each book, but once everything began to be answered it was just as engaging as before. The mystery element really took effect in this third novel and the stakes seemed to be really high for some of the characters. There were a few moments in which I was on the edge of my seat and could not put the book down.

 
The writing as ever was witty, fast paced, and enchanting. Though this is a translation from the native German form it took, the humour and character development have not been lost through the process. Kudos to the translator for doing such a good job.

I did guess the twists at the end, but it was still a great journey and this will continue to be one of my favourite series. I recommend this to everyone even if you do not think it will be your thing.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About