Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

Amazon Synopsis: What if the last person you should fall in love with is only one who can save you? I won't tell anyone, Echo. I promise. Noah tucked a curl behind my ear. It had been so long since someone touched me like he did. Why did it have to be Noah Hutchins? His dark brown eyes shifted to my covered arms. You didn't do that - did you. It was done to you?

My God I read this ages ago. I am ashamed at how many things I need to review. Forgive me?

So, this book is told in dual perspectives of broken former-perfect girl, Echo, and lost foster kid, Noah. They come together through a weird twist off fate and the greatest of all school therapists. 

Going into this book I was expecting it to be told purely from the perspective of Echo so finding an alternating narrative chapter structure was a surprise, though not always a good one. This way of writing allowed the author to take us on two different journeys and really connect with both sides of the romance, something that is quite rare in contemporary fiction. Noah especially since it was clear he was just needing to accept parts of the situation until later on.

Usually we are left following the growing infatuation of a teenage girl so the two sides made this book fresh and interesting. As a reader I found myself caring for both sides equally even outside of the main romance. That is another thing that McGarry was able to do, make the book about so much more than a teenage romance. There were times when I hated listening to what was going on inside the characters heads. I would just feel annoyed at their personalities and struggle to get through a few chapters.

Plot wise the book held the 'Romeo and Juliet'-esque themes of two opposites attracting to the chagrin of everyone around them. It was incredibly serious though and a lot darker than I originally expected it to be. It deals with grief, responsibility, love, acceptance, and more throughout, which was quite refreshing but also not what I had signed up for. That maybe was why I could not connect as much to the characters or plot line.

This novel is not the fluffy, star-crossed lovers romance I was expecting, but instead brought something a bit different. It did not sugar coat the love story and its characters were certainly flawed. It worked though in a way that left you both satisfied and longing for more.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About