Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Amy has left the life she loves for a world 300 years away

Trapped in space and frozen in time, Amy is bound for a new planet. But fifty years before she's due to arrive, she is violently woken, the victim of an attempted murder. Now Amy's lost on board and nothing makes sense - she's never felt so alone.

Yet someone is waiting for her. He wants to protect her; and more if she'll let him.

But who can she trust amidst the secrets and lies? A killer is out there - and Amy has nowhere to hide . . .

Read this on my holidays pretty early on, it was alright when I had nothing to do but read. If I were at home though I think it would have taken me a while to finish. Purely because I do not think this book was for me.

The plot was an interesting and original premise. I had certainly never read anything with this sort of story line before. I thought the idea of a monoethnic society was fascinating and the world that Revis created was very well thought out and put together. The revelations and plot twists I did not see coming at all for the most part. The overall villain was not a surprise at all, in fact it was kind of obvious, but I liked the way that the predictable story line was not the only line of plot nor the most important.

The characters were a mix. I really liked how Amy reacted to situations. She seemed to have her head screwed on. Despite being trapped in this world she seemed to react very naturally with a 'what the hell?' kind of tone. I also liked the poor soul secondary characters. I did not like Elder.
 
I thought the lead male characters fascination and 'claiming' of Amy was incredibly creepy and unhealthy. It lead to me wishing for anything but that ship to happen. He seemed to decide that she was his and that any other male attention was not welcome to the point of violent tendencies being shown. Especially considering Amy is in a completely new society it is clear that this relationship- if you can call it that - will grow based on Elder's knowledge and power in this world. It seems like he is already playing on her vulnerability and I do not like that.

Do not know if I am overanalysing it but his entire narrative about her made me uncomfortable.




I liked the dual perspective writing style but I like Amy more so I always wanted her chapters. 

Overall I did enjoy the book and will be picking up the sequels, I just will probably get them from the library and will not be prioritising them.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About